Sunday 18 January 2009

A violent death for a gentle man

A Romanian poet in Bessarabia died last nigh as a result of a car accident. His name was Grigore Vieru, he was a school-books author, a politician and a fighter for a pro-Romanian attitude in his country. One of those people whose real and only fatherland is the Romanian language. He was a member of honour of our Academy and its candidate for the Nobel Prize for Peace.
He was 7 when the bob-wire was set across his yard, artificially turning friends into enemies. As he said: "As other people dreamed of going into the Cosmic Space, I dreamed all my life to cross the river Prut."
Two more of his quotes:
"I have nothing, Death, against you
I don't even hate you.
No fear, no terror, I feel pity for you,
For you never had a mother, never had sons."
And his own epitaph he had engraved on his tomb: "I am grass. I cannot be simpler than that."

1 comment:

caluad said...

Accidents are always unexpected. We may be ready for incidents but not for accidents.
Being a great person, he must have planted the seed of his emotions and knowledge.
My condolences to all those who feel this Romanian fatherland and atitude.