Tuesday 21 December 2010

5 X 14 = 25

We had a big class Xmas party today with my 5 graders (10-11 yrs. old). They are a nice and childish bunch, so we had lots of things to do: we played games and read stories on "Santa's website", then I had some presents for them that they drew from a broomstick, blindfolded, then we played a game called "Storm on the sea" (a kind of Musical Chairs, combined with storytelling), then we danced (just a bit- they had brought 2 players but just one CD!), then we sang carols (they had brought the notebooks just for me, I had asked for this favour)...and we ate continuously.

But the funniest moment was a trick I had never expected to work. I told them I had heard in the news that new rules had been given in Maths and 25 divided by 5 will make 14 from now on- and I "proved" it like this. There was a moment of silence, then a boy asked desperately: "Do you mean I have to learn the multiplication table all over again???" Then they started arguing on weather Math can be changed by new rules. Finally some started to suspect it was a trick and they noticed where exactly the "proofs" were false.

Only after they all left I realized I had been so busy I had forgotten about taking pictures. I'm quite upset about that.
I have no idea why I'm writing all this here. Maybe just to share a smile with you.

2 comments:

caluad said...

It sounds really interesting, this party of you. Don't worry about photos, they will always remember those moments. At least, their brains will have. I'm sure.
We were watching movie mistakes, recording the carol and the audio for the riddle. Nothing much, because I was not in my best moments. But they enjoyed it. I gave them homework: sending me photos of their Nativity Scenes in their houses for the Picture Gallery in ATOM. I have already received and uploaded one.
Enjoy your days in the village and don't forget the photos, not for this relaxing activity.

ivasil said...

I'll try to take nice photos, unless it rains!
I hope these winter days bring you soft gentle snow and peace.