Saturday 20 June 2009

Requiem for a house




The protection of the historical buildings and thus stopping illegal demolitions have been the subject of a silent march, held Thursday evening in Bucharest, and concluded with a recital performed on his Stradivarius violin by the violinist Alexandru Tomescu. The event’s symbolic title was "Requiem for a house" .

At the initiative of the Ministry of Culture, over one hundred people, including architects and representatives of NGOs have started, with candles in hand, the route-The University Square-Roman Square- Visarion Street. The terminus point of the march was a building that has only the outside walls left. "The building dates from the late nineteenth century and is in a protected area. As a pretext for the needed dismantling, the owner flooded it, set a fire, demolished the roof and put a plate warning "Danger of collapse" . It is a common tactic of those who need to justify such dismantling. “Technically speaking, the building can be rebuilt. Basically, however, this is not in our hands”, the representatives of the Ministry said .

Alexandru Tomescu’s an hour and a half recital took place right in front of the house on the Visarion Street and included, among others, works by Bach and Ciprian Porumbescu, whose tone has maintained the atmosphere of mourning for the "death" of a building.The artist confessed he was more nervous than he had been at Carnegie Hall, and noticed the good acoustics of the place. :)


Photo 1 from Jurnalul National, photo 2 from Art Historia
More photos and videos here

3 comments:

ivasil said...

I'm sorry, I know I should stop posting, but some things impress me and I try to make them known, even to such a small extent.

caluad said...

I can understand mourning for old buildings. They enclose so much history, so much wisdom, so much life that it is very sad speculators damage them.
Don't stop posting, I have nopthing to post at the moment. I take my camera with you, but what calls my attention is people and taking photos of people is risky.

ivasil said...

Yes, it's risky , although it would be a good idea posting about people in our towns. How about Avila in tapas? are you going to take a look? I think it's soon, as far as I remember from Aviladigital- I read it sometimes, when I miss your place. :)