Friday 23 October 2009

Climate Action Day

My 5th graders were just incredible today. I had only told them yesterday to prepare for a short debate and for a poster contest. I was not sure they would do anything, so I found some reading material, bought big paper sheets, brought scissors, glue, crayons etc. and made diplomas.
My surprise could not have been bigger. They had gathered information, studied it (that's amazing, you know they print it but have no idea about the content!) and brought everything they could need. One girl even brought a mindmap on this idea, not hers, of course. I had only to watch and take photos. They talked about the meaning, the causes, the effects of global warming, gave examples, suggested way of action against it. Then they drew, cut and so on. They stayed for one more hour in order to finish.
I will give the diplomas on Monday, it was too late and I need to think of a festive way of doing it. Of course, the posters look like they belong to some 11 years old, and they were made in a haste, but the whole activity was absolutely great. Here they are.








3 comments:

caluad said...

Great work!Congratulations1! I suggest you ask for boards and launch a public exhibition with today's material.
Really good. You should be proud of your students.

ivasil said...

Thank you for the compliments and the advice. I already called the Educational school coordinator to help with choosing the best poster. In fact, I wanted her to see our activity. She suggested an exhibition, I will remind her of it next week. Thanks again.

ivasil said...

PS This group has worked in a Comenius as Primary kids, they are familiar with different kinds of activities.
By the way, I visited my former school today, I needed to do some paperwork. My kids there wept, it was a bit sad. I also asked for a CD, just in case.