Monday 2 March 2009

Art & use

I used to watch this structure in my walks. I found it very curious. I wondered about its hidden meaning trying to find a connection between my world of ideas and it. Was it scale to heaven?
A climb to the highest peak in Gredos? A celebration of geometry?
I used to stop in front of it and watched it from different places. I didn't ask because I wanted to get the solution to my questions. But, why didn't other people stop by it? what had I missed?
Then suddenly one day, I heard somebody walking ahead say: " What a good idea! People can't jump any longer from the wall" And I understood. The structure is on top of a wall that separates a garden from a street. Young people jumped from the garden to the street and there had been severe accidents.
It was more than art. It was use too.

3 comments:

ivasil said...

Interesting! It could be called something like The Tree of Prudence.
It looks really strange, like a metal tree growing of stone. It makes me think of the restrictions the typical (and sometimes unreasonable) boldness of young people often encounter. Obviously, this one was a necessary restriction.
Do you think art is more valuable if there is use in it, too?

caluad said...

No, I don't think art is more valuable if it is useful. In fact, what I mean is that The Tree of Prudence, I'll call it that way since now on, is double.

ivasil said...

I agree with you: art is valuable just by being art. This is a dual object, therefore each of its sides has a different value.
I'll try to find odd objects around, with dual lives, if I can. It's a nice idea.