Saturday 14 March 2009

Surprises

As I was going to the Old Court to see a fair (see it in the magazine!) I discovered three peculiar things.
The first is a counting machine, as far as I can tell. It was in the window of an old eyeglasses shop, but it was closed today. I plan to go again to find out more. I love it, I wish I knew how it works. It also has a crank on the other side. Seems very strange, to count using a mechanical device. My 5th graders could use some help with the division!The second is a statue without name. I don't know what it represents, but I have the distinct feeling I've seen it before. Only I don't ever go that way.
And the third is just an old fountain, that we must have passed by thousands of times as we had our so called "production practice" classes in high-school in the neighbourhood, but never noticed.
Aren't they strange, our perceptions?

1 comment:

caluad said...

Yes, our perceptions are strange. You may go the same way everyday and it is never the exactly the same. One day, the old lady that usually walks a dog is not walking but sitting. Some other day, the pavement is darker because of the rain.
and all of a sudden, you find out, a street lamp you had never seen.Perhaps things move with our imagination.