Tuesday 8 June 2010

An ending

The 8th graders said good-bye today. I was not expecting to survive and see this day all those days when I came out of their classroom a wreck. I came home relieved but with a bitter feeling. Maybe it's my fault.
They had a ceremony with speeches, weeping and bla-bla. I could not even pretend to be touched, nor tell them that I loved them as the others did. Maybe my capacity of forgiving has decreased. I just told them that everything I had to say to them I had said during this school-year, and I'd be happy to know anybody had heard me. Wished them luck and gave a quote. It was the coldest and shortest speech of all their teachers. Just want them out of my life. I did not accept their graduation party invitation. I guess I'm turning into the regular bitter, limited middle-aged female Math teacher with no sense of humour.
How was the strike, any success?
Maybe I should not even ask.
Sorry to keep going with this.

2 comments:

caluad said...

I understand your position concerning some pupils. What I don't really understand is that graduation fashion in every educative level. Can you imagine there are graduations after the pre-school level here too? It's ridiculous!
About the strike, there is the usual cipher battle, The only thing I know is that there were only 3 teachers on strike in our school. 3 out of 79.
Other groups may have followed it, but not in our case and the hospitals were also working almost 100%. But of course, everybody tries to give their own numbers. We'll see tomorrow!
Forget about your 8th graders!

ivasil said...

Same fashion here. And graduation 2 days trips and parties after the 4th grade. Snobbery.
It was the same about strike numbers here, but there were more teachers on strike than out.
I will forget about 8th graders in a while, but I feel bad because they were REALLY smart kids, but somehow I could not find a common language. Nothing interested them: projects, computers, contests, games- nothing. So, I feel I failed in a way.
By the way, my crazy tutor group will probably be dissolved.
Thanks for the answer. Have an easy day tomorrow. It's awful here: hot and we have to close the situations. Paperwork...
Bye