Monday 2 November 2009

Discovery


Maybe this is a bit out of topic, because it happens everywhere. That's why I had the idea of a new category: Earth- the Place we Live In.
It's about a moment on the plane yesterday, a moment to remember and the star was boy about 2 years old, maybe younger.
His father offered him a small whistle, to keep him amused, only the kid had no idea what to do to make it utter sounds. He did not know what "to blow" meant, but he was determined. He tried over and over, until by accident he succeeded. You should have seen his surprise and his joy. He understood and he repeated the "achievement", to make sure. And he bursted with laughter. Then he kept whistling, laughing, and again, over and over, louder and quicker. After each breath, he laughed with delight. And, after a few blows, he generously offered the precious whistle to his father for a try, then he took it back.
I wondered if the parents understood the beauty of the moment. It was, I think, a glimpse of the best and the deepest part of the human being, a short reminder of what makes us progress: the desire to know, the determination, the joy of discovery, the magic of sharing it. I was happy to see it. And I felt like sharing it.

2 comments:

caluad said...

Can you remember when you started walking? I can't but I suppose it was very difficult. From those days on we have not stopped learning and learning. This is great!

ivasil said...

That's right, we are all into a "longlife learning" activity. It started with the first breath, but I am not willing to think of the thing it will end with.
On a funnier note, I was told they gave me a pencil to hold on, in order to walk. There was nothing at the other end- I did not need real support, just some encouragement. Sounds just like me, so I believe it.