Friday 15 October 2010

Santa Teresa's Day





I have not seen much of the celebrations today, instead I went to Madrid to see the exhibition about Miguel Hernández, a republican poet who died in prison after the Civil War. I consider it a better way to spend the day. Madrid was glorious, warm weather, sunny skies and people, people from every part of the world.
the only thing I saw concerning the patron's day a week ago, was the first parade of the Giants. Not much, but here it is.
enjoy it, children were afraid. do you have something similar?

3 comments:

ivasil said...

I'm so glad you ha a good day in Madrid!
I would have been scared too, the giants not really pretty- sorry. :)
I guess there are scenes from Santa's life? But why the black and he Chinese?
Our processions are very rare and very dull, nothing similar, just people and religious objects.

caluad said...

The Giants Parade has nothing to do with religion. It's something that goes into the streets whenever a festival period starts. It is an old tradition in Spain.These figures were a burlesque imitation of outstanding characters in towns and archetypes as well as representatives of the races in the world.
They walk slowly and moving around together with other grotesque figures: Big-Heads. These ones are short and have big heads. They represent wicked beings that run after children.
It is a Mediterranean tradition, which was taken to Latin America too.
Not much, just fun and this is enoguh such as times go by.

ivasil said...

I had no idea, sorry. I'm particularly stupid today.
I think I messed up the interview too.
Thanks for the information.