Thursday 25 November 2010

"Another kind of book"

There is an old Math teacher (actually, a whole family of teachers) who makes the best known exercise book for Secondary School Maths. The book is unofficially called "The Chicken"because it has a duckling on the cover, regardless of the level of the class, year after year. It's a good book: revised and adapted each year, no errors, costless, easy to handle, diversified. They bring it directly to schools and they are nice and reliable.
Well, this old teacher brought us a gift. He published, on his own expense, a book dedicated to teachers that has the same cover with the duckling and the title of the post. Inside there are poems, short real stories, epigrams related to teaching. Each one has a motto in Latin (a dictum) and the same final line: "The rest? The rest is silence."
He offered a book, with a few handwritten lines, to each teacher he has collaborated with.
Only a confirmed and incurable idealistic person can teach for a lifetime.
The rest is silence.

2 comments:

caluad said...

I've been in love with teaching since I was a very little child. I used to teach my dolls evne my shadow. I even taught how to read to a beggar that came to our house every Tuesday: Manuel. I learnt something in the school and I taught him the very first day he knocked at our door.
However, I sometimes feel, teaching has become such a big task that I find it difficult to cope with. We are expected to be teachers, educators, guardians, tutors, everything. too much for me.

ivasil said...

Kids, I can generally cope with, it's the parents that drive me nuts. Maybe because I expect them to be reasonable adults...:)