Saturday 24 April 2010

Ghosts

Oradea is not a very well-kept or a very special town, except for its thermal waters and some buildings in the Secession style, that I liked.
There is a fortress built in he 11th century, with an important historical background, but now there are works, so there is not much to see (there are some nice photos from better days here). But it is still in use because it shelters the Visual Arts section of the University.
It was all a surprise for me, as I entered the gate and I was greeted by a white resigned ghost. The yard was populated by students' sculptures. Nobody else, on a hot Saturday afternoon, but desolated shadows and the smell of warm grass. They looked particularly appropriate and although they are just sketches and this kind of art is not my cup of tea, I liked them. They fit and each of them spoke to me loudly and clearly.
I particularly liked the mother and the child- the way they click into each other and the way they seem to tend to separate. And the paradise gate with the two angels. And the feet.
I took my time to hear them and speak to them. On my way out I met two more shadows- a young couple dressed in black that had come there for a photo session. The girl in long dress smiled and waved her fan to me.
I can't name my feelings exactly, but it was nice.

2 comments:

caluad said...

I do like this kind of art, epsecially because it is studetns' performace. they are not polluted yet by fame, money. Sculptures are pure imagination, reflection, emotion. The building looks very nice with those high arches in brick. I like it.
I hope you were not scared of these shadows that talked to you.
Good photos.

ivasil said...

Thank you very much. No, I was not scared, it was peaceful and sort of intimate.
I hope you had a nice week-end. I had time to walk, alone and in group, even sleep a bit, visit the town and a resort nearby, buy books, read. It was International Book Day, so I felt guilty I had no time for such things lately. Did you celebrate it? I even got a book for you- although of course you might have read it.
Got to pack- my plane takes off at 6 a.m. I miss home!