Saturday 19 February 2011

Beyond technology

You know I'm doing some online tutoring, a 6 weeks etwinning course for advanced users (although not many are really advanced), and it's quite popular, there are over 400 trainees each session.
One teacher there was writing about her first project: a simple Xmas cards thing. She teaches in a village, her pupils don't have computers at home and many of them walk for 14 km in order to get to school. She says: I can't describe the kids' reaction as they got a bagful of letters from children in the UK, Portugal, Poland, Spain, Turkey. They just could not believe it was for real.
This is much more valuable than all the innovative ICT use, mobile technologies, virtual environments and who knows what. At least, I think so. Much more than a European Prize, even.

5 comments:

caluad said...

ICT helpèd connecting these chiilden with the their other friends. Technologies are tools, the same function paper, pen and ink had in their beginnings.
Nothing would have been suitable for communication if there hadn't been a strong desire to communicate. It's the same today. Different timing, different agents, different tools but the same wish.
If we could go on using Technology this way, it would be a great success.

ivasil said...

Right. ICT is a tool, not a purpose. And this is the spirit we should have in mind.
I'm a bit blue today because I'm alone on Sunday. I'll go clean the house, that will be good.
Have a nice sunny Sunday, if possible!

caluad said...

Are you sure cleaining is a wise strategy? Anyway, I'm ironing and cooking at the same time. By the way, can you send me a file with the AiW logo? I'm enjoying it so much that I can't stop coming out with new ideas.thanks.

ivasil said...

I'm cooking at the same time but cleaning will wait, because there is a TV show about an old Englishmen who's turning a 1947 fishing boat into a cozy little home, and I love it. I have always dreamt to live on a boat and have a nomad life. :)
Sure, I'm sending the logo. I wonder what you are concocting!!!

ivasil said...

The Englishman did not manage- sometimes dreams have a way of destroying themselves, inside out. Reconditioning his boat made him change profession, he became a boats broker, but he was so busy he could not finish his project and had to sell the boat. A pity, to give up his and his wife's dream for a career. :(
Now, cleaning!!!