Friday 21 November 2008

Night scenes

These modern statues make part of an outdoors project from a French sculptor. They have been planted all through the town centre.

They are massive and show a world of curves and thick figures.

This dark corner, on the way to the cathedral looks so empty that really reminds me of a medieval city.

Even at the cathedral gate, by the realistic lions that protect the church, you can find one of these sculptures.

And to finish the walk, one of the newest scenes in Ávila: the cathedral clock working and with light.
It has been broken for more than 50 years. May he not get scared of our quick life.

3 comments:

ivasil said...

The statues make a nice contrast with the environment.
The market corner photo looks really mysterious and romantic. I think I see someone wrapped in a dark mantle hidden in the "Tres Siglos" doorway. Is it a lover or is he waiting to begin a duel?
Now seriously, the clock photo, is really touching.Do you know how old that clock is?
It's an image of hope: some things can be brought back to life with care and concern, even if they seemed broken for ever. Do you suppose people can do that?
A beautiful town and an impressive post.

caluad said...

I was not looking for it on purpose, but in a certain way, this post portraits me quite well.
I like this kind of contamination, I mean this eclecticism. I believe in mixture, purity in itself is less creative. Present and Past together.
sometimes, I have thought Ávila was floating in the Past. May the clock be a symbol of vitality for the town.

ivasil said...

I believe in diversity too, in accepting the new and in flexibility.
I'm still thinking of the clock, waking up after all that time, in the same place, but seeing different things, different people, measuring a different life with the same pace.
It's a good subject for a poem, only I'm not good at that.