Sunday 30 November 2008

Patience!

My favourite group this year consists of 12 years old kids. 29 of them. The nicest bunch I've taught in years, not because they are all brilliant, but because they all are positively-oriented. They want things to go on well, they are reliable, they work, they even have initiatives. The classes with them are enjoyable and make my work seem to have a point.
They are in their second project and they love it. They don't have to be pushed, I trust them handling the TS, as they even did it last year.
I try to do my best for them, but sometimes I feel they deserve more, from me and from the educational system.
Last week, as we are still having trouble with the computer room, we worked in the room with the projector, so they could all see. After solving the task we had, they asked me to let them see all the materials in their TS again, as some have had problems entering the new portal at home and had no help.
Of course, they started with their partners presentations and they immediately noticed something I hadn't. "Look, teacher, they all have laptops on their desks! Is that possible? At school?? And there are only 12 in a group!"
I told them to be patient, that our schools would be like that one day. That maybe they'd have that in high-school, in 3 or 4 years. But I know they could use it now, and get the knowledge and the skills , see the things they learn in a different way, learn more efficiently. And they would deserve it, too.

2 comments:

caluad said...

I'm sure schools will get bettter. It needs a time to make politicians understand that training people is the best tool to become free citizens.
As a matter of fact, it also involves learning to make differences, to be aware of discriminations, to criticize.
So, let's our pupils strart doing all this!
It's a long way but eventually we'll be successful

ivasil said...

It does not seem our politicians are very much preoccupied with this. Anyway, by then, this generation would be too old to benefit. As many other generations as far as now. And it's a pity.
We've been told to have patience for so many years.
On the other day, since today is election day, I have to think these kids will vote in a few years. Maybe they can be taught to think,make differences and decide better for themselves.