Saturday 29 November 2008

Train lovers









Despite the stress and the hurry of our every-day life, some people still find the time to have hobbies. One of these hobbies is miniature trains.
One rainy Saturday morning, a group of smiling excited people were waiting on a platform in the North Railway Station for the launching of the first model depicting a Romanian engine.
After the WW2, one important step in bringing the National Railways up to date was adopting the Diesel traction. The first 6 engines of a kind that would become the most long-lived in Europe were ordered in Switzerland in 1959. The next year, they started being made in Romania, at Craiova. The manufacturing went on until 1981, the last one baring the number 1407. More than 40 times the planned number.
The "name" of the engine is DA060. She has been for 49 years the best "worker" of the Romanian Railways Company, and even now this type of engine pulls two thirds of our trains. A living legend, a hero. New improved related engines have been manufactured starting the '90's. It was also widely sold abroad.
You can see the exact engine that was the "muse" of the miniature one, it was "born" in 1972 and is still in service.
The miniature train was made by a German company together with the best known Romanian train fans association , and it was supported by the National Railways Company.
Imagine some of these people had ordered the miniature for almost three years! The stories we heard about their miniature trains, about all the time and work they have put into them!
Hobbies really make our life more beautiful, they make us younger.

2 comments:

caluad said...

A beautiful post. Trains have something that evokes our traveller soul, our adventure dreams, our hidden secrets.
Both your posts are closely related, patience is the clue.
I envy people who are so patient as to handle very small pieces to create something. My small dolls are always faulty. Proportions are never achieved. this is why I envy patient people.
Teaching and learning are, in a certain way, miniaturist works. Little by little, piece by piece,
step by step, knowledge springs.
Hobbies may be a reflection of what we are and what we do.
they don't make me younger, they make me feel alive.

ivasil said...

I know someone who is as patient as to build miniatures and bring them to perfection. He has everything it takes, except the time to do it.
You're right, trains and train stations feel like adventure more than any other meas of transportation. I like staying in a station and looking at people. Do you?
Photos- my biggest hobby these days-make me feel out of myself, out of every-day reality. I feel not only I can hold the moment, but that I can communicate- which I can't really do with words. That's why I love them.
Thanks for the comment.